To help people with developmental disabilities work, live in homes of their choice and enjoy community life.
All persons with developmental disabilities are valued members of the community with opportunities available to meet their needs for housing, jobs and social interaction.
Opportunity House is a non-profit community sponsored rehabilitation center serving adults with developmental disabilities in DeKalb County. For over 50 years, we’ve focused on providing quality of life for our clients, offering programs and services to meet their employment, housing and social needs. We are licensed by the State of Illinois Department of Human Services and the Department of Public Health. We offer a wide variety of programs designed to help individuals live their lives as independently as possible
- Offers a full range of programs to meet the vocational, housing and social needs of adults with developmental disabilities.
- Operates 10 group homes in the Sycamore and DeKalb area as well as Developmental Training, Supported Employment and Services in our main building.
- Believes individuals with developmental disabilities should lead a full and abundant life.
- Uses a “Client-Centered” approach to services that are tailored to meet the unique needs of each individual.
- Served a total of 221 individuals last year.
- Provides a next step option of care for special education students who have aged out of school system programs (at age 22).
- Improves the quality of life for our clients through choices including social activities, educational programs and local community participation.
- Relies on both public and private funding to maintain the high quality of services we offer.
The staff at Opportunity House focus on creating an inclusive, caring atmosphere conducive to personal growth and a healthy quality of life.