1957 – Four couples/families come together to start the “DeKalb County Association for the Mentally Retarded” to care for their family members.
1967 – Began residential living program with females at a Sycamore farm house and males at a house on West State Street, Sycamore. Also, Workshop moved from the Old South Sycamore School to 202 Lucas Street.
1969 – Department of Mental Health began funding two Community Living Facilities
1970 – Began Leisure Time Activity Service
1971 – Began Work Activity Service
1978 – Received first Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities(CARF) accreditation for 3 years in 4 areas – Vocational Development, Sheltered Employment, Social Adjustment, and Work Activity.
1985 – Began Supported Employment Program for 8 clients to work in the Community with 2 Job Coaches.
1989 – Completed another series of purchases including the Chicago and Northwestern Transportation property on Page Street, an addition to the main building, and another residential home. OH also received an award from the State as one of the Top 10 Supported Employment Programs in Illinois.
1995 – Began Special Olympics Sports (basketball)
2005 – Completed purchase of more homes in response to a growing demand
2006 – John Kroos retires after 36 years as Executive Director
2008 – Began remodeling as part of the Capital Campaign to house the Developmental Training program.
2013 – Purchased 2 more houses in response to the demand for group housing (CILA).
2016 – Launched Capital Campaign to consolidate all operations, including Work Services, OH Industries and administrative staff, into one building (357 N. California Street) through a remodeling construction project scheduled to be completed in May of 2017.